The D Major chord in the open position is one of the five fundamental major chord shapes you will learn to play on guitar. They are C, A, G, E and D.
The below diagram shows you how to play the chord with suggested finger positions.
Fingering the D Major Chord
- Place your index finger on the 2nd fret of the G string
- Put your middle finger on the 2nd fret of the high E string
- Place your ring finger on the 3rd fret of the B string
- Strum all of the strings together, without hitting the low E and A string
- Intervals: 1 – 3 – 5
- Notes: D – F# – A
- Chord Symbols: D, Dmaj, DΔ