The C Major chord in the open position is one of the five fundamental major chord shapes you will learn to play on guitar. They are C, A, G, E, and D.
The below diagram shows you how to play the chord with suggested finger positions.
Fingering the C Major Chord
- Place your ring finger on the 3rd fret of the A string
- Put your middle finger on the 2nd fret of the D string
- Place your index finger on the 1st fret of the B string
- Strum all of the strings together, without hitting the low E string
- Intervals: 1 – 3 – 5
- Notes: C – E – G
- Chord Symbols: C, Cmaj, CΔ